After getting a master’s in speech and language processing, Dan worked for speech recognition powerhouse Nuance for well over a decade, first as a researcher and later moving into product and business unit management.
Our topic is how to build great product teams. Among other questions, we ask Dan:
- What makes a great product team?
- What is his four-part framework for thinking about product teams (e.g., context, talent, change, and location)?
- Why context matters so much?
- How to deal with the army you have vs. the army you want?
- How to think about change and risk?
- The tradeoffs in location strategy and colocation of PM and ENG?
- How to think about and drive diversity across a number of dimensions?